After all, how many times can a bully claim that beating and shooting a little unarmed kid is necessary because the kid is an existential threat to the bully?
In these sad times, only Turkey stands out as a symbol of dignity and pride (here and here). This gallery shows how much Turkey's posture is appreciated throughout the world.
Arab governments, not surprisingly, exhibit the usual lack of spine, lack of pride and even lack of simple dignity. Egypt miserly 'eased' its own blockade of Gaza (!!!) to allow crossing of Medical emergencies and students traveling to study outside Gaza, as if these cases should have been blockaded at any time. And even Algeria, thousands of miles away, was cowardly enough to ban demostration in support of the victims of the flotilla massacre.
The US wanders between wishy-washy stance by Obama and the State Department on the one hand, and the stupid comments by Biden on the other (See also Gaza flotilla raid:'So what's the big deal here?' asks Joe Biden ).
American media is busy with whatever the heck they keep themselves and the average American busy with. And until Jon Stewart says something about it on The Daily Show, most Americans probably would not have even noticed what is going on there. And after a few laughs, they would not even remember what he was talking about anyway.
Most European governments seem as if they are just tongue-tied, while their people are on the streets in front of Israeli embassies protesting. (See Norwegians ready to boycott Israel, and
Thousands protest flotilla deaths, clashes in Athens).
Nothing I say will make you feel different, and I am tired of shouting that Israel is an immoral regime because it is so obvious.
On the bright side, honest and righteous Jews everywhere seem to have the loudest voices critical of Israel in the media and in pro-Palestinian organizations all over the world. So I will only provide links to several article and videos that may be a source of comfort. All the links are from Israeli source, or by non-Israel Jewish authors and journalist. So, let us see some of their contributions:
- Barney Frank (US Congressman) saying that "as a Jew" he's ashamed of the treatment of Palestinians
- Israeli Patriot Fania Oz-Salzberger: Gaza Flotilla Raid a Shameful Sin - The Daily Beast
- Israel’s war against non-violence - MondoWeiss
- Protecting Israel by the usual US suspects -Antony Loewenstein (Australian Journalist)
- When killing activists on one boat isn’t enough - Antony Loewenstein
- Naomi Klein speech at pro-Palestine rally (Video)
- 'Israel is a Lunatic State' - Finkelstein on Gaza Flotilla Attack (Video)
The 'blood letting' is courtesy of our Israeli allies at no cost to the American peace activist, other than her share of the 3 billion dollars of military aid we give Israel every year.
I know justice will come, and Israel as we know it will not last.
Addendum (June 8, 2010):
Related and interesting links related to the legal aspects of the flotilla massacre:
In views of some of the discussions in the comments section about the legality of Israel's massacre, I have listed below some of the available links with legal insight. It is not as simple as some of the pro-Israel comments make it look like.
- Defending Israel: A How-To Guide « LobeLog.com
- Israel's flotilla raid revives questions of international law
- Israeli lawyers: Raid violates int'l law
- Gaza occupation and siege are illegal
- Reuters AlertNet - Q&A-Is Israel's naval blockade of Gaza legal?